November 5, 208
What shift has happened in my education?
My education started off like the typical affluent American youth, get a degree and get a job but it has changed. The first shift that I noticed was in my multicultural class, African-American History post 1865. In this class I began to understand why there are racial barriers in American and the real story about slavery, civil rights and colonization in Africa. This lead me to wonder what education is like in communities primarily inhabited by African-Americans and the lack of education is the same but the quality seems a little suspect.
The other major shift in my education came at a base root level of gratefulness in context of understanding theories, and concepts related to my faith. I was so thankful for the simple task of reading and writing and could not imagine what it would be like not to hear about the grace of God given to humanity through his son. The times I read and am affected by these things make me so grateful for my opportunity to be educated.
The shift is this: I now want to use my education to enhance the lives of others, be it teaching or some other mode but I certainly value my education too much to keep it for myself and just use it solely for financial purposes.
I have been able to use my education to start a non-profit and am in the process of starting my second one.
Reading and writing,
Justin
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment